Monday, July 06, 2009

Allen Ginsberg Memorial on July 3, 2009

My husband Carlos and I were fortunate enough to attend Naropa University's ceremony honoring Allen Ginsberg, poet, activist and co-founder of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. The memorial took place on July 3 in Boulder, Colorado, in front of the Allen Ginsberg Library.

The occasion, MCed by Reed Bye, also marked the interment of some of Ginsberg's ashes at the Shambhala Meditation Center this summer, and the launch of the Allen Ginsberg Scholarship Fund.

Jim Cohn, curator of the virtual Museum of Contemporary Poetry read one of Ginberg's favored poems by Pablo Neruda, called "Let the Railsplitter Awake!"

The poem, about Abraham Lincoln, also harkens to Barack Obama's rise to presidency.

Musical numbers abounded, including singalongs of Ginsberg melodies and lyrics. In this photo, poet and Kerouac School co-founder Anne Waldman joins guitarist Tyler Burba. ◦
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Messages of Solitude said...

Dear Madam,

hi, i'm Awi from Indonesia, I also like to write poem but in Indonesian. I wish to write poems at English too unfortunately my english is not good enaugh. That's why I am looking for Writing Tips to write poems at English and when I surfed on the web I found your site.

If you don't mind I wish to learn from you how to write poem at English.

thank you

regards,
awi
http://dunia-awie.blogspot.com