Saturday, February 23, 2019

Childhood reincarnation memory from 1951 “Winter of Terror” avalanche


At age 4 in Chicago, I woke up from an afternoon nap, bitterly and inconsolably crying after a dream. I had just re-lived, in the dream, a death I experienced in Switzerland in which my St. Bernard dog and I, a little girl of age 6 or 7, had been crushed under a giant avalanche.  My mother rushed in to console and reassure me that I had only experienced a dream, but I kept telling her it was real, it was me, it was my dog.  At the time, I knew nothing about Switzerland, avalanches or St. Bernard dogs.  I later pointed out a St. Bernard dog, which I had never seen before in this life, during one of our car trips. I told my mother that that was the dog from my dream experience. Only then did I learn what that dog was actually called.

Years later, during a teenage basement séance in my girlfriend’s basement, we put flashlights under our faces. A boy looked at me and told me I had been a little girl in Austria in my past life.  Later, a psychic told me I had died in an avalanche in my last life. And more recently, a special on PBS showed avalanche victims from early 1950s Austria who had been dragged out from under the snow. My husband said, “That’s you they’re taking out.” Even more recently, with the heralding of the Internet, I learned about the series of devastating avalanches that took place in Austria and Switzerland over the course of the winter of 1950-51 called the “Winter of Terror.”

In this three-month period, an unprecedented number of avalanches took place in the Alps, Austria-Switzerland border. The series of 649 avalanches killed over 265 people and caused large amounts of damage to residential and other human-made structures. These avalanches were thought to be caused by high precipitations making the meeting of an Atlantic warm front with a polar cold front.

In the town of Andermatt Switzerland, avalanches were so common that they suffered six of them in only one hour, killing 13 people. This particular incident took place in January 1951. I appeared on the scene in Chicago in January 1953. I am not sure if I died in Andermatt, in Austria, or even among these “Winter of Terror” avalanches specifically. But if anyone can find any documentation of a little girl and her St. Bernard being found together in a European avalanche, please let me know. Here is a video of the rescue efforts after the Andermatt avalance.

The following is a poem I wrote about the avalanche dream experience:

The Girl Child


Papa skied past,
on snow so cold and damp
it gasped for breath,
in time with the crackling fire
of our morning cabin.

Two portraits,
a dozen colors, my mittens
formed snowballs before me,
each one, a white heart,
a daytime comet destined
to startle my dog with light.

It was like a miscalculated turn
of a ski pole when wind hit our faces,
where burst of white met
shaggy St. Bernard mid-air,
he leapt to play,
and jumped like the
terrier or whippet he wasn’t.

Wasn’t he born that same winter as I,
the twin I grew up with,
two hearts that beat
together like captive confidants,
he forgetting, especially today,
who he was?

His left leg caught
in his right,
sliding us meters down
the moguled slope,
rolling as if wrapped in a hearth rug.

Didn’t we land in a bowl of pearls,
where our feet couldn’t find bottom?
And above us, instead of clouds,
giant mitts of bath powder clapping together,
each handful,
another cup of sugar
for a sweeter cake
I could not see the top of.

I measured, packed and tossed,
and when one hard morsel
landed between his teeth
like a jewel in a setting,
he nudged for another
as if begging a treat,
that snowball in my other hand.

He hurled himself through an invisible hoop
in that relentless snow wall,
a white hole, I too,
tumbled into,
where he became more the victim
that dogs like him are
supposed to save.

I held to his fur as if
a pony’s mane,
the madly-colored mittens
blurred into a rainbow,
snow pushed against me closer than
the wool drifts of my sweater,
or was it just his thick-skinned warmth
next to me, the way I like
when we sleep?

We climbed onto a ledge where I wasn’t afraid,
where light beneath my eyelids
shone whiter than ice skate blades
in sunlight,
a place where we could curl up
in forgiveness,
until something pulled me through
in a fever, shook me loose,

Crying inconsolably, four years old
on my bed in mother’s arms in Chicago,
she patting my eyes with
a snowflake-edged hanky,
her words light vanilla, soft lilies,

“It’s only a dream,
wake up, wake up,
it’s snowing outside,
it’s the first snow of the winter,
wake up,
you don’t want to miss it.”

                              ~ Cynthia Gallaher
##


Share/Bookmark

No comments: